The Farmhouse now known as ‘Owd Betts’ was originally built in 1796 by Richard and Mary Ashworth, but by the 1820’s, it was being run as a public house/hostelry, the Hare and Hounds by Richard, son of the above, and his wife Elizabeth.
It was their son, John, who would marry another Elizabeth, Elizabeth Ramsbottom in 1839. It was this Elizabeth who would become the Owd Betts that we recognize today. It was they who would go on to maintain the family tradition as inn keepers. They would establish the building as a landmark on the Turnpike Road, between the booming mill-towns of Burnley, Rawtenstall, Ramsbottom, Rochdale, and Halifax and Huddersfield in Yorkshire.
The Inn would remain in the family’s hands for five generations, until being sold in 1922. However, in recognition of the lasting legacy of the grand old lady, The Hare & Hounds was officially re-named ‘Owd Betts’ in the 1950’s
The current owners, Rhys & Donna have been custodians of this wonderful hostelry since 2006.